Saturday 22 October 2011

The Head-stand

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar;
I love not man the less, but Nature more...
- Lord Byron


"I am Super Tramp..(looks at the apple)..and you are Super Apple!"


"Mr. Franz, I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greather joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."

- Christopher McCandless a.k.a. Alexander Supertramp

A man whose story made my life do a head-stand; and never feel like going back on my feet. I remember ever so clear, the night i finished reading about Mr. McCandless, i was ready to stuff my bag with a few necessities and whatever cash i had saved and stashed somewhere, and leave. Just leave. Where? No one knew. The world was out there and i had to savour it before it was too long. It took my friends' 'rational pleading' and persuasion that my time would come (:P) that i decided that perhaps tonight could be spent in a quilt. After that, many less nights were spent akin. And i can safely say, most days too.
Thank you Chris, the head-stand is more alive, more raw, more everything. I hope you smile wherever you are. "Happiness is only true when shared.." :)
Songs for tonight, two songs from the motion picture on the man's life - Into the wild. One, is the first song i heard and the opening piece of music gives me goosebumps till date; "Hard sun". The other is the one which never, ever ceases to make me fall back and look around once - what are we thinking? Are we even aware? "Society" in Eddie Vedder's unfaltering, haunting voice..plunge yourselves, the night is long and uncluttered.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment